Wednesday, April 15, 2009

What is better, inline skates or quad skates?

What do you find better? I havent been skating for a while but i just went yesterday for my birthday and i am going to start going more frequently and i am going to buy some skates and i don%26#039;t know which one to buy..... I want to be able to skate backwards and turn easily and a skate fast (i know picky) lol. what do you recomend and why? thx





BTW- i%26#039;ve ben skating with quads all of my life and i%26#039;ve tried inline when i was younger but will lose my balance more with inline?

What is better, inline skates or quad skates?
I prefer rollerblades. The main reason for me is that the %26#039;stopper%26#039; thingy is on the back of most rollerblades and on the front of most if not all rollerskates. I find it harder to stop without falling over with rollerskates cause when i put my foot forward to slow down or stop i tend to fall, its a more jerky less smooth motion than easing the rollerblades back. I also tend to balance better with rollerblades ....I guess its up to personal preference though:P Inline skates...do take a bit more getting used to with balance but once you get the hang of it, it actually seems easier.
Reply:It is easier to stand around and go slow on quads at first. If you are going to stay in a roller rink it will be a little easier on quads because of the small area.





Once you decide to skate outside or want more speed, the advantage moves to inline skates. They are much faster and more stable from front to back which keeps you from %26quot;tripping%26quot; over things that will cause a face plant on quads.





I find the stability of inlines also helps me when skating backwards.





Stability while braking depends on the proper technique for each.


On inline skates, think primarily of pushing the braking skate as far forward as you can, then tilt it up and letting your weight shift forward onto the brake. The farther forward you can get the skate, the more stopping force you can create and the more it will hold you up. Bending the knee on your gliding leg will allow you to get the braking foot farther forward.


On quads, bend your gliding knee and let your braking toe drag lightly behind you. As you get the balance between the two, you can bring the braking toe closer to you and put more weight on it.



nanny

No comments:

Post a Comment